Wednesday

The trials and tribulations of post pandemic recruitment 

According to the Office for National Statistics, "hospitality businesses are most likely to be experiencing challenges in filling vacancies compared with normal expectations at this time of year."

We are proud of our low employee turnover within Albacore and don't need to recruit very often. However, I've just completed the recruitment process for a vacancy as our client experienced a surge in employees returning to the office  preferring to interact with real humans again - great news for us!

Here we are edging out of the pandemic  and finding that Brexit, hospitality business closures and the end of furlough have forced so many talented hospitality professionals to seek employment in other sectors.

I try to recruit all of our employees and it's a process I usually enjoy. My highlights are the amusing email addresses candidates use in the hope of securing their dream job. santababy@xxx.com, mamawontwork@xxx.com , and Im-just-bad-news@xxx.com, to name just three!

I then send about one hundred "I was impressed with your cv and experience however... ''emails, and keep the six best for interview and trial shift if appropriate. 

I utilise an online advertising and community website as it's reasonably priced and you can use unlimited words, unlike a newspaper where ‘’ Catering Asst required M-F Bathgate’’ will set you back the price of a city break.

A couple of weeks ago, I placed one of my usual advertisements online with what I thought was a great opportunity. Catering Assistant, Monday to Friday,7am to 3pm, living wage, meal on duty, uniform, pension, development programme...I braced myself for the deluge of applications.

Replying to the first three candidates emails all three came back undelivered multiple times.

Then three applied by text- fantastic!

Initial phone interviews, all sounded perfect for the role, a wonderful dilemma! Trial shifts arranged with payment at the end. 

All with the usual confirmation email, full instructions for location, travel, access to the building plus the plea that as I was travelling an hour to the site especially to meet them, JUST TEXT if you change your mind. Reply to my email to confirm you'll be attending. 

I arrive at site half an hour early. Reception, security, the team and I wait with anticipation. Will they be THE ONE?

Twenty minutes later my welcoming smile has become rather crumpled. I feel like a teenager whose first date didn't show up.

What did I say?

What did I do wrong?

Did the bus break down?

Are they all lost, panicking out there somewhere?

Were they all abducted by an alien?

Are they all involved in a vendetta to repay me for something I unknowingly did to upset them?

Strangely now, the mobile number I was previously connected to with warmth and enthusiasm now cuts off when I speak, or goes straight to voicemail. I leave a lonely voice message, followed by an insincere text "I assume you're no longer interested in the position. Wishing you all the best for the future" and hold myself back from adding NOT! 

It's not all doom and gloom, though. A day later, I received a text "intrstd in job no cv". I took a chance, called back within a millisecond and arranged the interview, trial shift and immediate offer and start date all completed in two days. The team on site are so happy with their new member and so is our client. And I'm ecstatic! On cloud nine!

I’m not speaking from actual experience, but just like dating sites, there are still some really great matches out there, we all just have to work harder to find them!

Good luck to everyone recruiting at the moment. I wish you every success in finding THE ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thanks for leaving a comment, all comments will be moderated before they are put onto the blog.

If you do not want your comment to appear on the Albafoodie blog then please say so in your comment.

Thanks

The Albafoodie